Reporter I, News
With 199 television stations (including partner stations) in 116 markets, Nexstar Media Group, Inc. is the largest TV station operator in the country. But we are more than that. We’re also a technology company. Along with a broad range of broadcast opportunities, Nexstar staffs a growing and diversified digital media operation encompassing content management and mobile platforms, content marketing, targeted advertising products and strategic digital design and advertising operations. From newsroom to sales to operations to digital technology, joining Nexstar Nation offers unlimited opportunities for your career endeavors. Learn more at www.nexstar.tv
KLAS-TV 8 News Now in Las Vegas, Nevada, a #DigitalFirst operation with a focus on delivering local content 24/7 across all platforms is looking for an enterprise News Reporter to join our growing News Department. The successful candidate will generate enterprise stories, collect, analyze and present facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation or observation for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
- Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
- Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
- Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
- Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
- Determines a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
- Produces digital first reports
- Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
- Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
- Pitches enterprise stories to news managers which are relevant to the local community
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
- Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
- Checks reference materials such news files and public records to obtain relevant facts
- Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
- Produces and presents reports for all platforms
- Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
- Writes stories for the web and engages in other social media platforms daily
- Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- Fluency in English
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Minimum two years’ experience in news reporting.
- Superior on-air presence
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, and other office equipment
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
- Flexibility to work any shift, weekends and holidays
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The News Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the News Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
EEO Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities / Women / Veterans / Disabled