Director III, News
With 199 television stations (including partner stations) in 116 markets, Nexstar Media Group, Inc. is the largest TV station operator in the country. But we are more than that. We’re also a technology company. Along with a broad range of broadcast opportunities, Nexstar staffs a growing and diversified digital media operation encompassing content management and mobile platforms, content marketing, targeted advertising products and strategic digital design and advertising operations. From newsroom to sales to operations to digital technology, joining Nexstar Nation offers unlimited opportunities for your career endeavors.
KLAS TV – 8 News Now is seeking an experienced, competitive, and innovative News Director to lead our team of award-winning journalists amongst the bright lights in fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada, DMA #40. The ideal candidate will successfully lead the daily on-air and on-line news coverage; hire, train and mentor Producers, Reporters and Anchors. The News Director will oversee special projects and execute daily operations in the newsroom. Excellent time management skills, keen ability to multi-task and working within a budget are key. Must be able to lead and motivate all levels of News personnel. A standout candidate will possess a track record of successful collaboration with department head peers, a proven competitive record, the willingness to take bold steps toward winning, and value the company’s commitment to community involvement.
- Manages all aspects of the News Department (other than Production)
- Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
- Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
- Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
- Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
- Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
- Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
- Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
- Responds to coverage questions.
- Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Minimum five years’ experience in news programming production, with at least two years’ experience in a leadership role. (More or less depending on market size.)
- Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The News Director must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the News Director must be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
EEO Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled